Let's Talk Money

Can we talk about Money?

In the interest of transparency, I'm going to let the finances hang out there, too. The cost of the procedure-which will take six weeks (five for treatment, one extra week so the dr can monitor my healing), will be approx.  $8200 Canadian. We chose to stay at the JW Marriott which increased our cost - you can stay at many locations for much cheaper but we decided on this hotel because it was recommended and we could count on the help of staff to speak to cab drivers, recommend ATM's/places to eat (and they have a restaurant in the hotel - REALLY hope to avoid travelers diarrhea etc etc). All told (flight, food, procedure, medicines (travel medication and vaccines aren't cheap!) hotel, cabs) we are estimating that the total cost of this adventure will be $20,000 Canadian.

That's a crazy amount. For the first time in my life I have a taste of what it's like to be a sick American without health insurance and be saddled with huge medical bills. The cost deterred me, I won't lie, but living with a fistula reduces the quality of life so drastically. I don't want to wake up wishing I were dead for the rest of my life. So, I figured, I've been in debt before and dug my way out. Whenever I've bought a car, I've had to take out a loan and pay it off gradually, same with having a student loan...why not take out a loan to get this procedure and get my life back? So, I went to the bank and took out a loan...on my ass lol

Please note - everything stated in this blog is my personal opinion. I am not a medical professional. Kshar Sutra treatment is not approved in Canada or the USA. People choosing to travel to India to undergo Kshar Sutra treatment do so at their own risk.

Comments